In some medical conditions, IV therapy is needed. Infusion therapy is the administration of fluids or medication through the catheter or needle. When the patient is not able to take the medication orally, the medication is administered through the IV route. The bioavailability is hundred percent when the drug is administered through the intravenous route. The drug directly goes into the circulation when administered through the IV. In some cases patients are given IV therapy to stay them hydrated. The infusion therapy provides the controlled dosing to the body. Some drugs have to be dripped slowly into the blood circulation. When such drugs suddenly reaches the blood stream it would cause death causing situations like heart attack, anaphylactic shock, stroke and poisoning. When your body requires any drug in less time, then giving the drug through IV is the best choice as the oral administration of drugs requires lot of time to reach the blood stream. The IV therapy is the must health service that should be provided by any health care unit. The urgent care san Antonio provides many health services like lab tests, x rays, CT scans, IV therapy, ultrasounds, etc.
Conditions in which infusion therapy is used:
- Chemotherapy is the treatment which is used in many kinds of cancer. The drugs used in the chemotherapy are either given through oral or IV routes. In some cases, the chemotherapy drugs are given to the spine or any part in the body.
- The infusion therapy will allow the drug to deliver into the bloodstream directly. The infusion therapy is also used in many other conditions like dehydration, autoimmune diseases, immune deficiency, pain, some infections that are not responded by the antibiotics.
- The infusion therapy can deliver drugs to the medical conditions like lupus, psoriasis, rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, Crohn’s disease.
- The infusion therapy is also used in many other conditions like haemophilia, migraines, osteoarthritis, osteoporosis, hyper coagulation disorders and in infections like sepsis, cellulitis and pneumonia.
- The IV therapy is must service that is provided by the urgent care unit. The IV therapy is the only route that is given to the patient in severe illness and dehydration.
- The needle is inserted by the health care professional into the vein mostly in the arm. Then the tube is inserted which is connected to the IV bag that contains the medication. The bag is hung to the stand and the medication with the fluid slowly drips down into the bloodstream.
- Depending upon your medical condition the IV therapy is given in multiple session. And depending upon the medication and your condition, the speed of fluid dripping is decided.
The IV therapy is the most important health care service that is mandatory in a urgent care unit.